Tuesday 24 September 2013

Mesmer, Reich and Mechanical-ness

In my recent reading I came across a new compound word. I like 'mechanical-ness' very much as a verb. Sometimes you see a person who is caught up in the system and you can predict their behaviour because they are following a programme. I like the word because it conveys both Mesmer and Reich's ideas on armouring. I also think a description I've heard of a 'computerised' society is very accurate. See here for further articles. This got me thinking about an observation I've made - every successful holistic practitioner appears to share something in common: they do a good deal of meditational work every day. Which is putting them in touch with 'presence', (in Mesmerism) or the 'force' (in Star Wars!) or being 'in contact' (Reich). The Mesmeric idea of presence, or Reich's conception of 'contact' is indeed at the foundation of successful medicine. Perhaps this is why no particular psychotherapy has ever come out on top - because it is the 'contactfulness' of the practitioner that is key rather than their theoretical background perhaps. On that note, I also must remark that sometimes orgone psychotherapists might consider that dearmouring is a continual lifelong process, especially in a society as armoured as our own. So even if a practitioner has done a deep and thorough dearmouring on themselves over the years they might still need to dearmour segments, every day even. This latter issue is something which Yoga emphasises well. Practically speaking there is much in common between yogic movement and breath work and the physical side of orgone psychotherapy. But before any orgonomic purists get upset let me point out that orgonomy emphasises the sexual stuckness and that I am not advocating a fusion of the two practices. Some pictures to illustrate mechanical-ness and the computerised society....






No comments:

Post a Comment